"A primary domain controller is already running in this domain. "

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Tue Mar 30 17:34:36 GMT 1999

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Gerald Carter wrote:

  LeScoezec, Mark wrote:

  > When we rebooted our NT PDC (I was on vacation) they
  > had the following error message:
  > "A primary domain controller is already running in this domain."
  > I do not want any Samba boxes to act as PDC to the domain,
  <snip>
  > [global]
  >         server string = SUN-TRADING-DEV AFStrade shares %v
  >         printing = bsd
  >         printcap name = /etc/printcap
  >         load printers = no
  >         guest account = guest
  >         domain logons = yes
                            ^^^
  Should be 'no'

uhmm.. i hit that one as well.

i had disabled those options, but must have accidently enabled it at
some point. (with swat - just shows the dangers of user-friendly
point and click).

The NT workstations began seeing the samba server as a BDC, and the
domain started acting funny. The NT admins took the PDC down, and
that was it, no domain anymore - a domain of about 600 users.. :((

anyway, live and learn.

--
Paul Jakma
paul at clubi.ie	http://hibernia.clubi.ie