migration win95 -> win98

Andreas K. Huettel Andreas.Huettel at extern.lrz-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 29 18:48:38 GMT 1999

Hi Rimantas,

well this answers part of my question - mixing win98 and win95
profiles makes a mess.

Setting different logon paths would easily be possible if the
parameter %a (see man smb.conf) would recognize win95 and win98 as
different architectures. I cannot test this yet, but the docs give no
hint that samba recognizes the difference.

i.e.
logon path = \\%N\%a\pro\%U
gives \\servername\Win95\pro\username with win95 clients - win98?

If %a does not differentiate between win95 and win98, i´ll try with
the hostname parameter (possible since we have (up to now) only one
win98 box).

regards,
Andreas

Rimantas Þylius wrote:

hi,

in general i would like to extend the question (or maybe ask it in
another corner) - can we use profiles in mixed systems? can we have on
network w95 and w98?

I have tried it with no success, as in my configuration, it seems w98
overwrites profile of w95, not recognizing it, and pretending it is
the
first logon of the user. the same is with w98.

if this must be that way, is here any way to set different logon paths
for different OS'es?

rimantas

Andreas K. Huettel          Andreas.Huettel at Extern.LRZ-Muenchen.DE
81627 Muenchen              huettel at qubit.org
Germany                     http://www.lrz.de/~huettel/

News Release January 4, 1999

Redmond, Washington

Bill Gates, Chairman and CEO of Microsoft Corporation, announced
today that the latest version of their Windows operating system,
Windows 2000, would be delayed until the second quarter of 1901. No
reason was given.

;-)