SAMBA digest 2037

Tom Hallewell hallewellt at rfa.org
Sun Mar 28 08:50:54 GMT 1999

> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:50:10 -0600
> From: lustig hanna <lustig at rafael.co.il>
> To: samba-bugs at anu.edu.au, samba at anu.edu.au
> Subject: Samba printers
>
> We are trying to define  some printers from an NT work station defined
> as a member in an NT domain. It's seems that samba has some problem in
> resolving the IP of the NT workstation.
>
> The printers are defined On a Solaris 2.5.1 server.
>
> The NT workstation is using DHCP to get it's IP address, the solaris
> print server is also a DNS server in a DNS Domain.
>
> We can ping the NT workstation (by name) from the unix server, and also
> the
> unix server from the NT workstation.
>
> The same printers work fine from a Win 95 not using DHCP.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hanna Lustig.
>
> ------------------------------
Have you tried adding your netbios and pdc servers to your dhcpd.conf
file?
Ours is at the very top, something like this-

option netbios-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy;
option netbios-dd-server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy;
max-lease-time 100010;
default-lease-time 100000;
option netbios-node-type 8;
option domain-name "yourdomain.org";

We're cheating a bit, because we also force the IP addresses using
BOOTP, ie-

host admin2 {        hardware ethernet 00:6e:b1:76:21:45;
                        fixed-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;
        }
   host admin3 {        hardware ethernet 04:00:0e:e6:31:8f;
                        fixed-address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy;
        }

Hope this helps!

Tom Hallewell