Subject: copying files samba - win95: drops dead in the middle

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Mar 25 21:28:01 GMT 1999

"Marc Remijn" <marrem at IAEhv.nl> write
> When copying files from the Samba server to a Windows95 client or vv,
> the speed varies dramatically. When I try to copy the same (20MB) file 10
> times
> some times it copies in less than 10 seconds. The next time it takes allmost
> minute. And most worrying of all quite often the copying just stops halfway
> in
> the middle. The progress bar in Windows just stops. The traffic on the NIC
> also
> stops (the traffic led stops flashing).

	I think you have a hardware problem: several people have
	reported bizzare failures, followed by timeouts due to
	ethernet cards (one bad NE2000 clone, one card truncating
	packets. Another chap had a half-/full-duplex bug.

	Have you any other hardware to test with?

> When I use Linux and the smbclient on the client machine instead of W95 I
> also get
> high speed copying all of the time.

	Which reduces the probability, but doesn't, alas, eliminate it...
	different drivers.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com