SAMBA digest 2031

Bruce Cook cook at ccis.adisys.com.au
Wed Mar 24 02:08:23 GMT 1999

> From: Brandon Hume <hume at Apis.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca>

> Subject: NN browsing, many subnets, no client naming choice?

> The problem is, we want to be able to control the machines that register
> themselves with the Samba WINS server.  In fact, we'd gladly turn off
> "registering" at all, and run total with an lmhosts file.  This is generally
> to prevent people from plugging their box in as an arbitrary BOX from
> workgroup WORKGROUP and fooling others into thinking they're really that
> machine.

The problem you'll have with this is that lmhosts like hosts needs to be distributed
to all machines.

If you only have a small number of servers that all the clients are connecting
to, you could distribute a limited lmhosts to all the client machines.

The thing you have to remember with all this is that the client determines it's
own name, and workgroup.  This is NOT controlled from any central server.

Another thing you could look at at least with the NT boxes is using the
"use DNS to resolve windows names" option.