netbios name registration fails

Daryl Williams daryl.williams at sharewave.com
Tue Mar 23 20:06:05 GMT 1999

folks,

howdy. by way of introduction, my name is daryl williams and i am
new to this list. i have however been using samba on and off
for several years. we currently use samba on our main fileserver
(a sunos 5.5.1 system) to serve files to our windows clients. our
goal is to eventualy replace all backend winnt servers with linux
systems running samba, however we are gated by the need for
a robust PDC version of samba to authenticate our nt users. while our
current samba installation (version 2.0.3) seems to be working fine,
we do get the following messages in our log.nmb file:

register_name_response: server at IP 192.168.0.26 rejected our name
registration of SHAREWAVE<00> with error code 6.
my_name_register_failed: Failed to register my name SHAREWAVE<00> on
subnet 192.168.0.25.

any help, tips, rtfms are welcomed, especially with a pointer to the fm.

thanks in advance,

//daryl

--
 Daryl Williams
 Network Administrator     mailto:daryl at sharewave.com
 ShareWave, Inc.           Phone: 916-939-9400 x3212
 5175 Hillsdale Circle     Fax: 916-939-9434
 El Dorado Hills, CA. 95762Web: http://www.sharewave.com