Brand new install and Swat will not accept root passwd????

McNally Dermot-R3564C r3564c at europe.mot.com
Tue Mar 23 08:37:36 GMT 1999

> I have a question. I installed today, FreeBSD 3.1 and put Samba
> 2.0.3 on. When I compiled Samba, did cat /etc/passwd |
> mksmbpaswd.sh > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd and then
> did smbpasswd -a root  and entered passwd ( no different than
> original passwd). I can start swat but when it asks for username
> and passwd, it fails to authenticate me.

This is related to the Samba build spotting that FreeBSD 3.1 has PAM
support, and failing to use it successfully (I'm not sure whether FreeBSD or
Samba is the culprit here).

To make this work either:

Install Samba from the FreeBSD ports collection, which patches around the
PAM detection.

Hack the Samba sources yourself so that no attempt is made to build with PAM
support.

Cheers,
Dermot