samba-2.0 (PAM auth failure)

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Mar 23 00:45:39 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Ray Curtis <ray at ray.clark.net> carved
some runes like this:

> I hope this is the correct list to ask this question, but I have a
> redhat 5.2 system I am running samba on, that has always worked before
> until I upgraded to this version.
>
> Anyway from my win95 machines I am now getting the error:
>
> Mar 21 14:34:09 ray PAM_pwdb[28118]: 1 authentication failure; (uid=0) ->
> ray for samba service
>
> Nothing else has changed on the samba server, so the user 'ray is
> valid with the correct passwd.

This is not a samba problem (well, sort of); windoze networking
(and M$ filesystems, etc) is not really case sensitive.  I think
the windoze client upper-cases all passwords before sending them
(whereas passwords on the linux/unix host are definitely case
sensitive).  You get the PAM authentication failure because the all
upper case password is incorrect.  That's why samba has the
password level setting in smb.conf to allow multiple tries with
different case (but each unsuccessful try will generate a PAM auth
failure).

This was discussed on the list a while back; you need to search the
archives.

Look in /etc/pam.d for the configuration stuff.

Steve