NN browsing, many subnets, no client naming choice?

Brandon Hume hume at Apis.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca
Mon Mar 22 18:46:56 GMT 1999

I've been placed with an odd task...and SMB and Windows networking itself are
bad juju to me, so I'm certainly having a hassle with it.

A number of users want to be able to do cross-subnet browsing.  That isn't
a problem... I know how to do that.  With WINS at least.  Although if cross-
subnet browsing can be done without WINS (and without enabling UDP broadcasts
across a hundred subnets), I'd love to hear how.

The problem is, we want to be able to control the machines that register
themselves with the Samba WINS server.  In fact, we'd gladly turn off
"registering" at all, and run total with an lmhosts file.  This is generally
to prevent people from plugging their box in as an arbitrary BOX from
workgroup WORKGROUP and fooling others into thinking they're really that
machine.

I know "Workgroups" and WINS itself are generally aging concepts, but I'm
dealing with about 6500 machines running anything from Win3.1 to NT5 betas.
WINS seemed to be the lowest common denominator.

Our DNS naming scheme generally appears as <User>.<Department>.Dal.Ca.
IPs are not dynamic.  What I'd LIKE to do is generate an lmhosts file
that says "<Department>\<User>	<IP>".  Basically, take each machine,
and shove it into a particular workgroup with a particular name, and if
the user doesn't like it they'll just have to get over it.

CAN this be done?  I know the MS lmhosts files had a G: option of some sort,
to specify which workgroup the machine was in, but Samba (as of 1.9 at least)
doesn't appear to grok that.

I hope what I'm trying to do is at least visible... as I read over my own
explanation it sounds like such a mess.  To make it worse, we're in a mixed
protocol environment here (IPX and TCP/IP, although almost all the machines
have IP, I'm sure).