SAMBA requesting to be a master browser....

Ben Kosse BKosse at thecreek.com
Mon Mar 22 17:31:17 GMT 1999

Hehe, yep. First, do you have file/print sharing enabled on any Win95 PCs?
If so, this can help cause the problem. Under the File/Print sharing
properties, there are two settings (Browse Master and LM Announce or
something like that). The second one defaults to Disabled, but Browse Master
is "automatic". This is bad. Disable that on every file-sharing PC out
there.

That's step one.

Step two is to add:
local master = no
domain master = no
os level = 0

To your smb.conf file. I don't know if they exist in 1.9.16, but they do in
1.9.18 as well as 2.0.3.

I bet what happened was a Win95 PC was actually the domain master browser
for a time before the power outage and Samba decided it would try to rule
the roost, not seeing any other masters out there.