password problems

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at execpc.com
Mon Mar 22 02:17:25 GMT 1999

At 09:35 AM 3/22/1999 +1100, Dallas Anne Smith wrote:
>Okay, be patient with me, I'm still new to Linux but I tried installing
>Samba and am able to reach other computers on my network from linux, but
>from my other computer using win98 I can see my linux computer under
>network neighborhood, but when i try and access it, it asks me for a
>password and i can't figure out what password it wants.  I tried using
>root's, my regular user password, and even tried leaving it blank but
>nothing works.  Also, is there a way to change the name of the computer,
>right now it's only showing up at the IP address.  Thanks, Dallas.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Dallas Anne Smith			UNC-Chapel Hill
>ICQ - 8707833				Journalism and
>AIM - BusChic71				Computer Science

For the password problem, you should probably read the ENCRYPTION.txt
file in the Samba documentation.  Samba defaults to clear text passwords,
but Windows 98 will only use encripted passwords by default.  I am not
sure about the computer name - it depends on how you have things set up.
Do you have the name of your computer set up in the /etc/hosts file?

Mikkel

---