NT test of smbmount

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Mar 19 17:38:06 GMT 1999

Iztok Polanic <iztok at hakl-hakl.si> carved some runes like this:

> > 1. I have just installed samba on my computer. It works great and
> > I can mount all Windows computers, except NT. When I try
> > "smbmount //192.168.1.4/C /mnt/test" I get this error:
> >
> > Password:
> > smb_get_length: Invalid NBT packet
> > smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
> > smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
> > mount error: Invalid argument
> > Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons

And I replied:

> Did you try smbclient?  If so, can you get in?  I can't Net View
> our NT4 machine, but I can get in with smbclient.  I'll try
> smbmount tomorrow.

My setup:  redhat 4.2 (kernel 2.0.30) and samba 1.9.18p8, with OSR2
and NT4SP3 clients.  I can smbclient both NT and win95 boxes, but
"Net View NT_box" (from win95) and "smbclient -L NT_box" both fail
(but browsing both samba and NT from win95 works fine).

I can "smbmount //win95/share /mnt/smb01" just fine, but the same
command on the NT box requires the username switch (presumably
because the samba hostname is different than my account name on the
NT box).

The example command on the smbmount man page doesn't work at all:

smbmount "\\server\tmp" -c 'mount /mnt/smb01'

Also, when I try smbmount as a normal user, it says "smbmount must
be installed suid root" but the man page says smbmnt runs suid
root, but smbmount doesn't (thus, smbmount should work for a normal
user).  What gives?

I have almost zero knowledge of NT (and most other things too), so
could someone shed some light on this?

I can link /usr/sbin/smbmount to /usr/bin, but how can I get
smbmount to run the way it's supposed to?  I'm planning to upgrade
both linux and samba soon, but I can't do it right now.  Is there
anything I can do with my current setup?

Thanks in advance, Steve