What is beest setup for us?

Dave Dulek ddulek at fastenal.com
Thu Mar 18 22:02:17 GMT 1999

We have a AV20000 running DG/UX R4.20MU01 with Samba 2.0.3
The experimental part is SAMBA running as a PDC.  We have all of our
unix boxes running 2.0.3 in the NT domain and do not have a problem.  I
suggest, if you do not want to deal with the experimental part, is to
have your NT run as the PDC and have the Aviion join the NT domain.
That way is the easiest and less confusing way.  I also suggest using
the SWAT page to help with the configuration.  It writes the smb.conf
file for you.  If you have any questions feel free to contact me
off-line about SAMBA since I currently have about 450 messages in my
SAMBA inbox.

On 3/17/99, 3:23:17 PM, "Duncan Kinnear" <duncanwantsnomorespam at mccarthy.co.nz> wrote
regarding What is best setup for us?:

> Hi folks!

> We are currently using 1.9.16p11 on a DG/UX Intel Aviion machine.  We
> have about 15 client machines which are a mix of Windows 95 and NT4
> WS. Recently we have added an NT server for use by the development
> staff.

> We want to move to version 2.x and centralise user authentication. I
have
> read most of the documentation associated with v2.x, but I cannot
decide
> what is the best setup for us.  Maybe someone can give me some
> opinions or at least some pros and cons.

> At the moment, the Samba server has all the users defined as Unix
users.
> Everyone also connects to the Unix host via telnet, to access
text-based
> COBOL applications on that machine.  However, in this environment, it
is
> a pain to change your password, because we have to do it on the client
> machine, the Unix host and optionally on the NT server (not running as
> PDC).  As a result, some people have not changed their passwords for
> several years!!

> Now the best solution seems to be to run the Samba server as a PDC
> and change the clients to "Domain" clients.  Then, if the NT server is
set
> up as BDC, everything would be sweet.  But everyone seems to be
> saying that the "security=domain" is *experimental* and should be
> avoided.

> Another solution would be to use the NT server as a PDC and have the
> Samba machine set up as "security=server".  However, I would prefer to
> keep the users setup on the Unix host, because it regularily stays up
for
> months at a time without crashing or rebooting (wish we could say the
> same for the NT machine!).

> Also, how does password encryption fit into this?  Can this be done
> transparently to the user without on-going maintenance?  Again, the
docs
> don't seem to be very clear on this.

> Anyway, any comments are welcome.  If I get enough I might write up
> some sort of summary that could get added to the docs.

> Thanks in advance.

> Cheers,

> Duncan Kinnear,
> McCarthy and Associates,                      Email:
duncan at McCarthy.co.nz

-------
> Providing Integrated Software to the Meat Processing Industry for over
10 years

Dave Dulek
System Administrator
Fastenal Company