Win98 and Samba

Harry Nicholls harry1 at idirect.com
Thu Mar 18 14:27:44 GMT 1999

Browsing on local subnet and remote subnet update.  I'm getting there!  Last
week, had local subnet browsing among, Win95, Win98, Linux RH5.2, UNIX
SysVR4 PC's working fine.  This week got browsing on cross-subnet (via
router and ISDN phone line to another city), working.
The only thing which did not work 100% was printing from a Win95 PC over the
network to one of the UNIX servers running Samba, which sent the print job
to the lp print service.  The lp print service sent the job back over the
network to the remote location to a Microplex M202 print server, and then
via serial port to a HP Laserjet 4M printer.  Sending a Windows print test
page works perfectly, but any text file is printed as garbage.
Today I'll be travelling to another remote location to configure their
subnet browsing.  That location also has a Microplex M202 print server.

Anyone, who may have had experience with printing to these servers through
Samba, please let me know how you resolved any problems.  (print command
used = lp -c -d%p -o raw %s; rm %s"

Harry Nicholls
harry1 at idirect.com