Copied files filled with zeros

Paul Allen paul.allen at redwood.rt.cs.boeing.com
Wed Mar 17 22:46:49 GMT 1999

I'm running Samba 2.0.0 on Solaris 2.5 and 2.6.  I've had a report
that a user on a Wincenter machine (NT4 + Windows Terminal Server +
Citrix Metaframe + NCD stuff) dragged a Word document from his NT
fileserver onto one of my Samba servers and the result was filled
with zeros.  We have been able to reproduce the problem from annother
account on the Wincenter machine, but cannot make it happen from
an NT5 beta2 machine.  I don't have a plain NT4 machine with Word
handy to test.

I seem to remember seeing this discussed on the list, but a search
back through October turned up nothing obvious in the archives.
Anybody remember the cause?  Or better yet, the fix?

Here's my config, in case it matters:

[global]
  browseable = yes
  guest account = nobody
  default service = homes
  nis homedir = True
  homedir map = auto_home
  name resolve order = host lmhosts bcast wins
  workgroup = iss-tech
  server string = Samba Server
  auto services = homes
  lm announce = true
  lm interval = 60
  remote  announce = 130.42.151
   security = domain
   password server = iss-tech-f
  encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   local master = no
   wins server = 130.121.5.43
   dns proxy = no
   username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/map
[export]
   path = /export
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
[homes]
   path = %p
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   invalid users = root

--
Paul L. Allen           | voice: (425) 865-3297  fax: (425) 865-2964
Unix Technical Support  | paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Boeing AR&T Site Operations, POB 3707 M/S 7L-68, Seattle, WA 98124-2207
---
Kick, kick, double-pole, glide, breathe, repeat ...  Air is crisp, sun
warm under the blue sky-dome.  Friends move nearby over fresh powder
through silent woods.  Awareness is here, now.  Work is a distant echo.