Samba Problems!

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Wed Mar 17 21:08:03 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Iztok Polanic <iztok at hakl-hakl.si> carved
some runes like this:

> I have couple of questions regading samba.
>
> 1. I have just installed samba on my computer. It works great and I can
> mount all Windows computers, except NT. When I try "smbmount
> //192.168.1.4/C /mnt/test" I get this error:
>
> Password:
> smb_get_length: Invalid NBT packet
> smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
> smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
> mount error: Invalid argument
> Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons

I'll have to test this one and see what's what.

> 2. I also want to use printer (Epson Stylus Color) which is attached to
> Windows NT. Because I'm not used to setuping printers under Linux (this is
> my first one) I have difficulties.

You should be able to use the default printer lines in smb.conf
(just uncomment them).  The easiest way to do the setup on the RH
side is to login as root and startx.  If ControlPanel doesn't
start, then open an xterm and launch either printtool or
controlpanel (the latter contains the former).

>From printtool, just define one or more printers (using the SMB
printer option).  Except for straight postscript, RedHat uses
nenscript and ghostscript as a nice set of printfilters that can
handle almost anything.  You should probably read the two printing
HOWTOs as well (printing and printing-usage).  Once you see how
things work, you'll have full control over everything.

Try it and see...

Steve