SAMBA digest 2025

Jess Mahan jessm at cinebase.com
Wed Mar 17 22:05:01 GMT 1999

> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:42:55 -0500
> From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk at suhep.phy.syr.edu>
> To: samba at samba.org
> Subject: Accessing remotely - ports blocked
>
> I want to be able to access Samba remotely (from outside the subnet, from
> an isp), but the top level pipe into our network filters and blocks all
> Windows/Samba/etc ports.
>
> Is there a way I can use a different port?  I know I can change the port in
> /etc/services, but how will that affect users?  Can windows just keep doing
> the same as with the default ports without any changes to the client machine?
>
> Thanks!

   As far as i know, you will not have any luck doing this, since your firewall will block he ports,
    and as far as i know you cant change the port your windows box talks SMB on, without some
    major registry hacking (if possible at all).
    Although, what i did to rememdy this (even though it's slow) is i stuck a 56K modem on my linux
    box, and set it up as a PPP server (see the PPP-HOWTO, and the Serial-HOWTO), then when i
    dialed up my linux box remotely, i could access the samba shares!
    This is a good method i have found, but it take alot of tweaking to get it right, if you need help

     e-mail me and i will do what i can.