Samba 2.0.x review published at PC Week.

Anthony David adavid at adavid.netinfo.net
Tue Mar 16 20:25:10 GMT 1999

From: Ben Kosse <BKosse at thecreek.com>

> I don't get it. They give it a con because of:
> "Tricky to configure; expensive maintenance."
>
> But in the article:
> "Although Samba is free, SGI charges $1,500 for a maintenance contract that
> ensures enterprise-level support for any SGI-Samba installation. *This is a
> low price when compared with NetWare and NT,*" (Emph mine).
>
> What gives?

Call your hardware supplier with a Samba problem and see what they say.

I am not affiliated with SGI, however I have been on the receiving end
of Jeremy's prompt and concise support.

SGI are offering Samba as a "Fully Supported Product"(or whatever spin
the marketeers put on the title) I am very happy to see SGI support
Jeremy's work and naturally SGI would like to see a return on their
investment.

Services is where the Free Software Model is supposed to be compatible
with commercial enterprises. There is no limit to how much you can
spend on Free Software. SGI are not selling a license to Samba, they
are selling a support contract.

--
Anthony David               | Save Ferris
Anthony David & Associates  | Free Truman