Samba Problems! Please help!

Iztok Polanic iztok at hakl-hakl.si
Tue Mar 16 20:04:11 GMT 1999

Hello !!!

I have couple of questions regading samba.

1. I have just installed samba on my computer. It works great and I can
mount all Windows computers, except NT. When I try "smbmount
//192.168.1.4/C /mnt/test" I get this error:

Password:
smb_get_length: Invalid NBT packet
smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
mount error: Invalid argument
Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons

I get the same message in /var/log/message. What does this mean? What
should I do to change this?

The strangest this is, that I can access to NTs' with smbclient
("smbclient \\\\192.168.1.4\\C") and I get this:

Unknown parameter encountered: ": writable"
Ignoring unknown parameter ": writable"
Added interface ip=192.168.1.7 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to 192.168.1.4 failed
Password:

And it works just fine. I'm very concerd about the 1st, 2nd and 4th line,
because I don't know what they mean. Where can I fix this writable? I
already checked /etc/smb.conf but I didn't find anything.

2. I also want to use printer (Epson Stylus Color) which is attached to
Windows NT. Because I'm not used to setuping printers under Linux (this is
my first one) I have difficulties. My /etc/printcap looks like this:

lp:\
        :cm=Epson Stylus Color on NT:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
        :mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/bin/smbprint:

and .config file

server=192.168.1.4
service=EPSON
password=""

Can someone send me his files for setting up the printer. I would really
appreciate if you would answer to my questions, because you're my last
hope (I tried every redhat-list, linux.samba news group, linux networking
etc)

Thanks!

								Bye.

                                  //////
                                 ( o o )
               |           From: Iztok Polanic           |
               |         E-mail: iztokp at amis.net         |
               |        WWW: http://come.to/kotzi        |