Master browwer issue

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Mar 16 17:09:23 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Raven <raven at Tribe.OnlineToday.Com>
carved some runes like this:

> I keep seeing this fight going on in samba-log.nmb, is there a
> way to make certain the Linux box remains the master browser
> period?  The Linux box is TRIBE the Win95 box is RAVEN:
[snip]

> Linux 2.0.34, P166, 32 Megs of RAM (RedHat 5.1), Samba version 1.9.18p5
>
> I set smb.conf os level to 33 (I thought that would help but no dice).

I have OS level set to 65 (although 33 *should* beat win95 in
browser elections).  Does your linux box stay up all the time, oe
are you shutting it down every day?  The other thing you can do is
turn off the clients, ie, in File and Printer Sharing properties
(under Network Properties) set browse master to Disable (the
default is Auto).

Steve