Virus protection?

Daniel Petzen Daniel.Petzen at emw.ericsson.se
Tue Mar 16 12:32:48 GMT 1999

> We have had instances where students have uploaded viruses onto our
> Win95 boxes. These Win95 boxes are served by a Netware file server.
> When disinfecting the system, the anti-virus software will clean
> off the F: drive on the Netware server.
>
> Now, when I am integrating our new Linux/Samba file server into the
> mix, I am concerned about letting an anitvirus program have admin
> priveleges on the Samba server. Has anyone looked at this? Any helpful
> hints out there?

  I'm in a similar situation and so far I haven't got it to work as well
as I would like to. I use my workstation as an experimental Sambaserver on
which I imported the affected disks as root. I then re-export these areas
with the admin users option:

[share1]
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   strict locking = yes
   create mode = 0770
   alternate permissions = yes
   admin users = user1 user2
   valid users = user1 user2
   path = /usr/local/infection/share1

  Mind the security aspect of using the valid users option. I didn't
succeed in using 'valid users' and 'force user = root' in combination
however. I also had to add the 'alternate permissions = yes' to make the
read-only flag to toggle correctly.

  Now the sad part. It didn't work.

  Dr. Solomon (7.91b, datafile unknown) just keep on 'chewing' as the NT
lot describes it. FSecure 4.02 visits Dr. Watson and doesn't work at all.

  As for now the work is discontinued but I'll try to solve it as soon as
get I get the time for it. All input is much appreceated however :-)

  Samba 1.9.18p10 was running on a Sun Ultra 1 with Solaris 2.5.1.

  I hope this helped a bit though.

//Daniel, System Operator, Ericsson Microwave Systems AB.