dos?

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 09:53:17 GMT 1999

Hi all,

>I have an old dos app that doesn't run in the win95 shell very well.
>There are problems with the graphics.
>Is it possible to connect to a samba server from real dos?  I assume the
>answer is no but I thought I would check.

There answer is YES.  But there are a couple of catches.

Firstly you need the DOS client (I found it by following the directions
on the (old) Samba Website to Microsoft's FTP-site where it can be had.)
It's also (somewhere) on the NT Server CD.
(Failing that I still have it copied onto floppies round here somewhere).

It has two flavours of install the 'Basic' and the 'Full' Redirectors

Secondly it is _very_ memory hungry, well over 100K needed for the
'Full' Redirector.  It has a fairly efficient memory manager (UMB.COM)
bundled in, which will put almost all of the client into upper memory
(assuming you have some (EMM386 loaded in CONFIG.SYS for example)).

Also, don't bother running MEMMAKER if UMB.COM is loaded in AUTOEXEC.BAT
as they just confuse each other.  If you want to try a MEMMAKER session,
then remove UMB.COM from AUTOEXEC.BAT first.  But quite honestly,
MEMMAKER can't do much better a job than UMB.COM

There is also a 'Basic' redirector which has several things missing
(including Domain Logon, I think) but which is considerably smaller in
memory (about 75K less).  But most importantly the 'Basic'
redirector _only_ deals in encrypted passwords.  Since Samba (by
default) uses plain-text passwords, the 'Basic' redirector won't work
with default-Samba.

The 'Basic' redirector works 100% fine when talking to a Samba-with-
encrypted-passwords server.  (see ENCRYPTION.txt in the Samba docs)

Finally, there are two errors in the Install program, which are covered
in Microsoft's KnowledgeBase articles:-

  Q128751	No "Advanced" button in Client TCP/IP Configuration Box

  Q142062	Unable to Run Win16 Sockets Application under Windows 3.1

Neither of these are critical to Samba <-> DOS functionality, but they
can be very useful (especially in larger (routed) networks)

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)