samba + dns

anoah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Tue Mar 16 04:58:21 GMT 1999

yes, we have several samba servers that are also masquerading firewalls. when
dns stops on the outside, even clients on the inside cant login. a loss of
service is how we determined that our local dns servers were doing a reverse
lookup on the 10.1.1.x subnet.

even though we had local dns servers, they were still going out on the net to
look for those ip addresses hostnames.

the quick fix: i whipped up a little script to put this in my etc/hosts

10.1.2.1	inside1
10.1.2.2	inside2

etc. we found that login service was restored, even though the names in hosts
file did not match the netbios names of the clients. all is well now!

note: supposedly, there is a switch in smb.conf to turn off dns lookups, but it
did not work! we use rh 5.x, kern 2.0.36 and 2.2.1, samba 2.0.x, win9x clients.

al