'Very strange: couldn't stat "."'...

Jorge Gonzalez Villalonga jorgegv at icai.upco.es
Mon Mar 15 14:39:41 GMT 1999

Hi,

I have just subscribed and this is my first post to the list. I
apologize if this topic has been addresed already, but I dug the list
archives and found one person which had my same problem (or so I think),
but no responses. Here it is:

I have a medium sized machine (P-2 266, 256 RAM, 36 Gb HD) which is
serving four classrooms, about 70 Pcs, with Samba. The Os installed in
the clients is NTWS4SP3. I'm having (among others) the problem mentioned
in the subject: my logs are full of messages like this:

Very strange, couldn't stat "."

I don't know if it's a serious problem, but I just started to get it
today. It was mixed with thousands (;-) of "request_oplock_break: no
response received to oplock break request...[etc]", which made me
shutdown and restart the smbd three or four times.

Although the "request_oplock_break..." messages are now gone, and I
don't need to restart smbd every three minutes, the "couldn't stat..."
ones are not, and they keep generating at a quiet, but continuous rate.

I have read that it might be related to faulty network connections, and
I have somehow isolated a faulty printer server (which is I assume the
oplock messages have gone away), but I keep receiving the stat
messages...

My samba version is 1.9.18pl10, and my system is RedHat 5.2 with Linux
2.2.1, all 2.2 updates applied.

Any help would be _GREATLY_ appreciated, since this is a very sensitive
machine, and I can't afford even the slightest downtime...

TIA
Jorge

--
Jorge Gonzalez  <jorgegv at icai.upco.es>       -o)
ICAI - Universidad Pontificia Comillas       /\\