Samba and DNS, the relation?

Tim Villa - faculties tim at ecel.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 15 01:25:35 GMT 1999

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:03:02 +0500
> From: "Cary T. Conrad" <conrad at messagesecure.com>
> To: samba at samba.org
> Subject: Samba and DNS, the relation?
>
> We recently experienced "loss of service" with our Internet provider and as
> a result none of our PC's could log-on to Samba Shares. As soon as the
> service was restored all was well.
>
> Questions:
> 	Is DNS necessary to run samba?
> 	If not, how should naming be setup?
> 	Do all of the clients need forward and reverse entries?
>
> 	I guess what I am asking is there a definitive way to setup naming for
> local operation?
>          I have the Blair book in front of me now, Hhhhmmmm.........

In my experience, you need to have your DNS entries set up correctly,
yes.  I have a vague recollection of requiring the client's host name to
match the DNS host name also.

This is just the way we've got ours set up though, however I believe
this is also the default.

If you want to get around having these problems in the event of the ISP
loss of service occurring again, you could consider adding enties to
your /etc/hosts and making sure that the "hosts" file is used for name
service lookups in your /etc/nsswitch.conf - or perhaps setting up a
local DNS independent of your ISP.

Good luck,
Tim
--
Tim Villa                 Faculties of Economics & Commerce, Education and Law
Network/Systems Administrator              The University of Western Australia