SAMBA digest 2020

Scott Serr serrs at wrykyn.isu.edu
Sun Mar 14 15:05:29 GMT 1999

> From: Stephen Davies <scldad at sdc.com.au>
> To: arnold.steve at ensco.com
> Subject: Re: dailin access to shares
>
> As you suggested, it was the interface config option that I needed.
>
> The only problem now is that nmbd will not start unless the second interface
> (PPP) is up and running - which it seldom is.
>
> I have tried starting nmbd from startup and from inetd with the same result.
>
> How does one tell nmbd to not barf if it cannot find one of the interfaces?
>
> Cheers and thanks,
> Stephen Davies

Stephen,
I have a Linux box running samba.  It also serves PPP to some Windows
dialup clients.  It works fine without putting ppp0 in the interfaces.
It may be some kind of Linux specific thing.  When I run testparms I
get:
        interfaces =
        bind interfaces only = No
(these must be defaults)
I don't have to have my PPP connection up for the nmbd start correctly.
But...  It doesn't show up in browse lists.  You might try doing:
Start/Find/Computer to get to that machine / those shares.

I can send you some ifconfig and route outputs if that will help.

Scott Serr
Software Engineer