win95 <-> win95 browsing problems and 2 other quickies

Woods, Chris Chris-Woods at forum-financial.com
Sat Mar 13 20:59:27 GMT 1999

(smb.conf at the bottom)

Hi!

Have a machine running samba 2.0.3 on a RH 5.1 Linux, kernel 2.2.0

I have it setup as PDC (or at least it is setup that way as best I can
tell) of the WOODS domain.

I have 3 problems.  Foremost, I have 2 win95 machines on this test
network and that is it for now.  Right now they can both browse the
samba server in Network Neighbourhood, and they can browse
themselves, but not each other.  When I try to browse wks1 from
wks2 I get:

\\wks1 is not accessible.
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request.

Now, both machines are setup to use user level security and to get
their info from the WOODS domain server, however I can't seem to
set any share permissions on WKS2 (just added tonight) as it
says the list of users is not available at this time!?

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here?  On both
machines logins to the domain seem to work fine, as I get a home
dir and everything.

Problem #2 has to be related to the above issues.  I downloaded
the nexus software from MS (it is user manager for domains, server
manager and something else ported to win'95)

I can see the user list in user manager but I cannot do much else.
If I try to view the properties or add a user I get a 'unable to edit
users at this time'.

Could this be tied into the above?

Lastly, can someone point me to more info on smbmount.  It
doesn't work, and I guess that is because it is being phased out.  If
so what should I do to mount shares on the samba server?
Pointers to docs would be great!!  I tried compiling and doing a configure
--with-smbwrapper --with-smbmount but when I do a make a get
a Makefile:94 *** missing separator error message.  (Plus I had to edit the
scripts since /bin/sh wouldn't work, but /bin/bash would)  Any help on this
one is great!

smb.conf follows:

[global]

workgroup = WOODS