cmdat utility...

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Sat Mar 13 20:43:40 GMT 1999

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> On 13 Mar 99, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton had this to say about
> about cmdat utility...:
>
> > this small utility can be used to run an arbitrary program by clicking
> > right-mouse-button on a directory.  the default action is to run "ssh.exe"
> > on a Samba server and a command prompt "cmd.exe" on an NT server.
>
> Excuse me for being ignorant, but what is ssh.exe?  A win32 ssh
> login?  The only win32 app I know of that does ssh logins is
> teraterm with ssh add-on.  Is this in samba contrib also?

while this isn't the right forum for this discussion, i'm an ssh advocate
and i'd love to see more widespread use of it so since he asked...

there are several ssh clients for win32 that i know of:

free...

ssh32.exe written by Cedomir Igaly (cigaly at srce.hr)
- find it at ftp.netsoc.ucd.ie /pub/computing/ssh
- supports ssh1 only

standard ssh unix source distribution
- the standard ssh unix source can be built on a win32 platform using the
cygnus win32 development tools.
- personally, i've had ssh-1.2.x version clients built and running but i
haven't managed to get the server-side working yet and i haven't tried
ssh-2.x.

not free...

datafellows f-secure ssh
www.datafellows.com
- both ssh1 and ssh2 versions are available
- scp client included also
- the ssh2 version also has a command line ssh that is (i think) identical
to the standard unix version so that you can do ssh from any command
interpreter.  get a bash shell, such as the one from the cygnus
environment mentioned above, and you'll almost forget you're using a
windoze box.

www.vandyke.com
- they sell an ssh client but i'm not familiar with this one

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \