NT user == 2 unix users

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Mar 13 19:38:34 GMT 1999

On 13 Mar 99, Kevin Elliott <knight13 at slip.net> had questions about
NT user == 2 unix users:

> I have files on my FreeBSD machine owned by a user "admin", and group
> "files". Now, while my user "knight" on my NT machine can access these
> files because it is in the files group, I do not have permissions set to
> read/write for the group, only the user.
>
> However, I would like to allow ONLY my NT login "knight" to act as admin,
> but while maintaining it's identity as knight.
>
> How can I go about this so that knight can be both knight and admin?

How about this?  If the files are on their own share, then valid
users = knight will make the share visible only to knight.  Force
user = admin will change the file access to admin.  I assume the NT
admin account is called administrator and not admin.  This should
work in both user and share level security mode.

I haven't actually tried it, but it sounds good :)

Steve