two network cards

Paul Sherwin psherwin at telinco.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 11:23:41 GMT 1999

At 06:22 13/03/99 +1100, you wrote:

>hello, I am wondering if there is an advantage to running two network
>cards on the same network (physical and logical).
>It seems to me that 2 10mbs cards will be able to get 2x the information
>to the machine in the same time. This would show an improvement if the
>processor,disk,io devices etc were having to wait on the network
>connection (ie the network is the bottleneck).  IS THIS TRUE? or am i
>just being nieve.

You can only get 10Mb/sec on the wire! The only way you could get any
benefit from 2 cards on 1 computer is if they were linked to separate ports
of a switching hub and talking to different ethernet segments. Otherwise,
the only solution is to upgrade to 100Mb Ethernet.

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting
22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone +44 (0)1865 721438