dailin access to shares

Stephen Davies scldad at sdc.com.au
Sat Mar 13 01:39:48 GMT 1999

samba at samba.org said:
>> The only obvious difference between this and a normal ethernet
>> connection
>> that I can see is that when dialling in, the server is on two networks
>> (one for ethernet and one for ppp) and the client is only on one of
>> those
>> (the ppp side obviously).
>>
>> Despite that, I can ping the server and telnet to it (Implying that
>> the
>> routing setup is OK): all I cannot do is see it or it's shares.
>> (Implying
>> ????))

> Do you mean "see its shares" in windoze exploder?

> Samba only binds to the first ethernet interface (eth0 under linux)
> by default; did you add the ppp interface to the smb.conf file?

G'day Steve.

Thank you for your reply to my question.

As you suggested, it was the interface config option that I needed.

The only problem now is that nmbd will not start unless the second interface
(PPP) is up and running - which it seldom is.

I have tried starting nmbd from startup and from inetd with the same result.

How does one tell nmbd to not barf if it cannot find one of the interfaces?

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen Davies