SAMBA digest 2016

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Mar 12 00:27:59 GMT 1999

When the world was young, <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com> carved some
runes like this:

> Unfortunately, I am still not able to browse or connect from my
> Windows 98 client. I also cannot connect locally with smbclient
> with any user other than root.

Everything looks okay, but I seem to recall a problem in the stock
RedHat 5.2 config where the localhost line in /etc/hosts was
screwed up (ie, I think you're having a name resolution problem).

Questions:

Why did you take the host file out of:

> name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

Do you have a local DNS?  I'm running named and samba under RH52 at
home (but I don't have win98) with no trouble.  I'm no expert, but
I think you need /etc/hosts (the fixed version).  I'll send you
mine from home tonight.

Steve