getting guest connection to "public = no" homes

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu Mar 11 19:42:31 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Sanders, Peter"
<Peter.Sanders at dsto.defence.gov.au> carved some runes like this:

> I am running Linux 2.0.30 with a few W95.SR2  boxen on an isolated
> network.  I am also running another Linux 2.0.30 with about 20-40 W95
> boxen on a corporate mixed ipx-Novell/tcpip network behind a firewall. I
> have experienced the above with all Samba versions I have used but have
> only taken notice since 1.9.18p4. I am now running 2.0.2 (or should that
> be 2.0p2).    Both of these Linux boxen are using small dead-time
> values and I suspect that the invalid guest access occurs during
> automatic reconnection. More worrisome is that I have occasionally
> had the situation occur that several non-public shares would
> only be connected to as guest, even immediately after a cold
> reboot of the workstation.  The cure in these cases was to
> delete the username.PWL file (cached passwords) on the workstation;
> reboot the workstation and login, typing in passwords as
> requested.   In a few of the worst cases I have also had to change
> access passwords at the Linux end and/or disconnect the
> workstation from the shares and reconnect.
>
> All of the above has led me to assume that the problem is at least
> initiated by a W95 bug or is caused by poor installation. Since
> someone else has had similar experiences I am finally moved
> to announce it.  Here follows a portion of my smb.conf.

  [snip]
>     guest account = guest

Have you tried a different guest account (such as nobody or ftp)?

Just a thought, Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437                    voice: 805.806.8838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>