File permissions/ownership lost?

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Mar 11 15:05:57 GMT 1999

David Lee <T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Samba 2.0.0 on Solaris 2.5/sparc
> 14,000 users (samba released to small group, but intend to release to all)

	Send me mail re sizing: I have an estimating model.

> When editing a WORD document (or Excel, and probably others), the revised
> file written back to the UNIX home directory loses its original ownership,
> group-ownership and permissions (modes) and gets a default set (me, my
> primary group, 644).

	This can be addresses with force create mask:  Word
	and friends edit files by first renaming the input
	file to .bak, and then creating a new output file
	and filling it with edited output.

	The creation tends to take permissions off (windows
	doesn't grok such), so you need to "force" them on.

	Case 1: the user is of the "right" group for sharing.
		Add "force create mask = 0660", which will
		or in the bits for rw-rw----
	Case 2: the user's primary group is foo, but you
		want the file's group to be bar.  Use
		the force create mask, and either use g+s on
		the directory or "force group = bar" in the
		smb.conf.

	These options can be set on a share-by-share basis, so you
	can tune them a bit.

> Supplementary question: Any ideas what other solutions, (e.g. TAS, Sun's
> "Project Cascade" or Network Applicance Filers) do in this situation?

	Blush: I don't know.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com