NT client can't net view Linux Samba server

Tom Roche tom_roche at ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 11 07:59:38 GMT 1999

I'm trying to setup a RH5.2 Linux PC with samba-1.9.18p10. I want it
to share its disk space with NT clients, ultimately using password
encryption. I'm testing my setup with a NT4SP3 client.

Initially:
The client has IP# 152.1.61.175, registered to kaon.csc.ncsu.edu; its
TCPIP has DNS for Windows resolution enabled, and has no WINS servers.
The server has IP# 152.1.61.159, which is registered to
backpack.csc.ncsu.edu. I did the following:

* Deleted the logs in /var/log/samba to start afresh.

* Copied the following into inetd.conf from
  http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-4.html

> netbios-ssn stream tcp        nowait  root    /usr/sbin/smbd  smbd
> netbios-ns dgram   udp        wait    root    /usr/sbin/nmbd  nmbd

* Copied /usr/doc/samba-1.9.18p10/examples/smb.conf.default
  to /etc/smb.conf

* Commented out

> ;   load printers = yes

  since none are attached to the Linux box.

* Changed

> ;    guest account = pcguest

>      guest account = guest

  which has

> guest::508:508:guest:/home/guest:/bin/bash

  in /etc/passwd

* Commented entire [printers] block

* Uncommented entire [tmp] block

* Ran

> killall -HUP inetd

  as stated in my inetd.conf.

* I ran the diagnostics, logged in as root. I pass tests 1-7. Note
  that I pass test 7: "smbclient '\\BACKPACK\TMP'" with no user set
  (i.e. as current user == root), with -U guest, and -U tlroche. In
  each case I get

> Added interface ip=152.1.61.159 bcast=152.1.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
> startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /etc/lmhosts. Error was No such
file or directory

  and am prompted for a password (except as guest).

* Test 8: On the PC type the command "net view \\BACKPACK". I get

> System error 5 has occurred.
> Access is denied.

  Note that \\BACKPACK was used with success in steps 2, 3, 4, and 7.
  Also, I am able to net view NT hosts.

* I assume there's a problem with name resolution. As previously
  mentioned, the client's TCPIP is configured with no WINS server, but
  with DNS and LMHOSTS lookup enabled. I add the line

> 152.1.61.159  backpack

  to c:/WINNT/system32/drivers/etc/hosts, import LMHOSTS, and restart
  the client. No change: I get the same system error 5. I also try

> net view \\backpack
> net view \\backpack.csc.ncsu.edu

  getting the same error. Note that if I

> ping backpack

  I get

> Pinging backpack [152.1.61.159] with 32 bytes of data:

> Reply from 152.1.61.159: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64

  until ^C.

* I try using WINS. I change

> ;   wins support = yes

>    wins support = yes

  I set the PC to use 152.1.61.159 (the IP# of the Samba server,
  backpack) as its primary WINS server. I run

> killall -HUP inetd

  on the server, and restart the client. I repeat tests 1-7 for
  sanity, and pass all. I fail test 8 identically.

* I copy the client's c:/WINNT/system32/drivers/etc/hosts, which has

> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 152.1.61.159	  backpack

  to /etc/lmhosts, adding the line

> 152.1.61.175	  kaon

  for completeness. I

> killall -HUP inetd

  No change: I pass tests 1-7, and fail test 8.

Can anyone diagnose the problem? I can send testparm.out and smb.conf
as desired. Please note again that my objective is simply to share disk
on the Linux Samba server, hopefully using password encryption (though
I have not yet enabled that). I don't understand why everything works
using smbclient and nmblookup, but nothing works from a real NT client.

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom_Roche at ncsu.edu