Linux Samba almost setup

Tom Roche tom_roche at ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 11 07:56:47 GMT 1999

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:54:55 -0800
From: "Stephen L Arnold" <arnold.steve at ensco.com>
>> * can browse to BP in NT NetHood, and can see it but not connect as
>>   either me or 'guest'--either gets
>>
>> > Incorrect password or unknown username
>>
>>   with correct passwords and usernames.

> What version/SP level are the NT boxes?

NT4 SP3

> What security mode is samba running in?

user

> If you have the combination of security=user on the samba side, and
> NT4SP3 on the client side, then you will need to mount a drive from
> an NT command prompt, ie:

> net use X: \\server\share (and use the username and password
switches)

- net use X: \\backpack\tmp /user:guest

gets

- The password is invalid for \\backpack\tmp
- Type the password for \\backpack\tmp:
- System error 1240 has occurred.
- The account is not authorized to login from this station.

[tmp] is setup public = yes.

> However, this won't work if Net View fails totally (you may have a
> bad workgroup name somewhere, or something similar).

I can net view other NT clients.

> You only need a guest account on the samba host (and you should be
> able to use the ftp or nobody accounts for this). This is because
> samba handles browsing, printing, etc, via the guest account, and you
> shouldn't need (or try) to actually login as guest. The easiest way
> handle authentication is to have the samba host account names the
same
> as your windoze client machine (host) names.

There is a guest account on the samba host, named "guest". All other
accounts have the same names on the samba host as on the NT clients.

>> # This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
>> # connections to machines which are on your local network. The
>> # following example restricts access to two C class networks and the
>> # "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see the
>> # smb.conf man page
>> ;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

> You'll have to add your local net and loopback address to this and
> uncomment for anything to work...

smbclient and lmblookup work without them. In any case, I tried adding

- hosts allow = 152.1 127.

which changed nothing.

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom_Roche at ncsu.edu