Digest content discussion (Was Ban Microsoft ....)

Duncan Kinnear duncanwantsnomorespam at mccarthy.co.nz
Wed Mar 10 20:16:59 GMT 1999

On 10 Mar 99, at 18:51, Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> Just my $0.05 worth.

Just my $0.01 worth (The Kiwi dollar is pretty weak at the moment).

While I agree whole-heartedly with Stephen's (and others) comments on
content,  I think we will be lucky to have all the list members comply.

Instead I would urge the powers that be to switch the list over to a more
mainstream list server.

The University of Alabama uses the LISTSERV software and it delivers
the Pegasus email list digests as multi-part mime messages. In any
decent mime-capable mail client, these actually look like mail folders with
individual messages.  You can then use the mail client's "next" and "prev"
commands to peruse the messages in the list, and easily
reply/forward/etc. individual messages.

I find the Samba list incredibly frustrating, especially when trying to find a
particular message (I don't have time to read all of them!).  It also
requires a lot of effort to direct replies to specific users and to make the
subject line reflect what is being replied to.  Unfortunately a lot of mail
clients can make this very difficult.

However, after saying all that, I feel there are too many people on the
internet now who have an "I'm not the problem" attitude.  I think we all
need to take stock of the cost we are imposing on each other!  Not
everyone has T1 or cable connections with endless low-cost bandwidth to
spare.

Have a better one.

Cheers,

Duncan Kinnear,
McCarthy and Associates,			Email:  duncan at McCarthy.co.nz
PO Box 764, McLean Towers,			Phone:  +64 6 834 3360
Shakespeare Road, Napier, New Zealand.		Fax:    +64 6 834 3369