NT bug ? (What a surprise!)

Steve Fosdick steve.fosdick at aom.bt.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 16:03:46 GMT 1999

Dave Porter wrote:

> User is attempting to connect to the fred share using a different
> username than the one he's logged onto NT as. The user has no other
> connections to the server.
>
> Sometimes, he can connect fine using explorer....others not. When he
> can't connect, the invalid username/password box appears very quickly,
> and turning up the log level on the server shows nothing in the log (as
> though it's not even connecting to the server). If, however, you open a
> command window and use the net use command, everything works okay.

Have you tried increasing the log level on the server?  I have seen a
very similar problem that I would dearly love to solve:

After samba has been re-started some users on NT4 clients are unable to
re-connect mapped drives when they log on and NT claims that they have
supplied the incorrect password.  When I examine the log on the samba
machine it seems that the client gets as far as negotiating which
protocol version to use and then the client closes the connection
without explanation and gives the user this (incorrect) error message
having never sent a password to the server.  This is in security=user
mode.

The work around is for the user to disconnect all the network drives on
the same server from explorer (the ones that didn't get corectly
re-connected) and then make the connections again.  After that it works
fine.

Any ideas?  Are these two problems related?
Steve Fosdick                  Internet: fosdicsj at aom.bt.co.uk
Voice: +44 1473 642987         MSMAIL:   BTEA/BTLIP23/FOSDICSJ
Fax:   +44 1473 646656         BOAT:     FOSDICSJ
Snail: B29/G34, BT Labs, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, England.