dialin access to shares

Stephen Davies scldad at sdc.com.au
Wed Mar 10 12:17:18 GMT 1999

Hello.

This may be a stupid question but I have been trying unsuccessfully to mount a
Samba share on a SCO OSV5 server over a dialup connection from a W95 laptop.

The only obvious difference between this and a normal ethernet connection that
I can see is that when dialling in, the server is on two networks (one for ethernet
and one for ppp) and the client is only on one of those (the ppp side obviously).

Despite that, I can ping the server and telnet to it (Implying that the routing
setup is OK): all I cannot do is see it or it's shares. (Implying ????))

If I switch to an ethernet connection, the server and it's shares are
immediately available so I suspect that I am being blind to something very
simple but cannot see what.

Any ideas ?

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen