I agree! (was Ban Microsoft Outlook Express MUA from this list?)

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Mar 9 21:54:55 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Alain FAUCONNET" <af at biomath.jussieu.fr>
carved some runes like this:

[snip]
> So  what  ? unless the nice people who manage those lists can find the
> time  to  switch to a better list processor like Majordomo, all we can do
> is asking people :
>
> - not to send any multipart mails :
>  * do copy/paste logs or config files inline, not as attachements
>  * disable any HTML evil (I hope Outlook can do that, I don't
>           use it)
>  * avoid  non-ASCII  characters  (many  MUA  would  convert  them  to
>           quoted-printable or even worse base64 -- the HP CDE mailer does)
> - disable vcards an all that nonsense - disable auto attachement of PGP
> signatures too, this really confuses
>   things in digests for people reading them with elm

I have few more suggestions:-)

	* No binary attachments (period)

	* When you reply to a question in the digest, please delete
the extraneous portion (ie, all but the part you're replying to) of
the reply.  You could even have a smallish .sig just for mailing
lists!

	* Set your mailer (especially M$ products) for plain text
only for all mailing list entries in your address book (ie, turn
off that rich-text crap!).

	* If you include all or part of your smb.conf, delete the
comments.

	* When replying, please use a meaningful subject (Re: Samba
Digest 2000 doesn't tell me very much).

	* Please give relevant information about your problem (OS,
samba version, auth type, client info, etc) and do your homework
first (I know that last part is a stretch, but at least try and
read some docs ;-).

Just my $0.05 worth.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled
Samba programming.

Steve