SMBMOUNTing an AS/400 exported share

Matthias Oertli oertlim at s054.aone.net.au
Tue Mar 9 19:45:34 GMT 1999

I'm trying to mount an AS/400 hosted share (NetServer) using smbmount.
The command I'm using is:
        smbmount //QAS400/SHARE /mnt -U USER

First it askes me for a password, which I supply, then I
invariably get mount error: Invalid argument.
I've tried all uppercase/lowercase combinations I could come
up with (including the -C option), without making any difference.

smbmount logs the following messages to the syslog:
kernel: smb_get_length: Invalid NBT packet
kernel: smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL

I am able to attach to the share with smbclient and from any windows
95 machine just fine.

Any ideas, anyone?
Regards,
Matthias