How to allow to a user of a group to change writeable bit of a fi

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Mon Mar 8 08:58:00 GMT 1999

Eric,

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:40:13 +1100, EFT.Eric Devolder wrote:

>In fact the application I use must be able to change Read-Only flag on a
>file. If two people are part of one group, they are able to modify / change
>the files belonging to their permissions.

>In a general way, one should be able to change the Read-Only flag if one are
>part of the same group of the users's read-only file. I know samba cannot
>override Unix security scheme, but perhaps with force user and force group ?
>(perform a chown on the file!)

Indeed this is the solution to _your_ specific problem. Chown all the files to
"someuser", then add "force user = someuser" to the share definition. That's how
we do it all the time ...

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)