Samba 2.0.3 and Seagate Backup Exec

Dean Ashby ashby at icair.iac.org.nz
Sat Mar 6 07:00:06 GMT 1999

Hello All,

I'm running Samba 2.0.3 on Redhat Linux 2.0.35, and am trying to backup
onto a 40GB DLT Drive attached to and NT Server running Backup Exec 7.0
Rev 725.  Backup Exec appears to have it's own built-in mechanism for
mounting network shares.

The problem is Backup Exec won't mount a network share from the Linux box.
Every time I try and connect to the share three "The redirector received
an SMB that was too short." events get added to the event log on the NT
box.

I can mount the the share via NT explorer without any problems.  Even more
frustrating is that I can get Backup Exec to mount a share being exported
via Samba 1.9.17alpha3 running on an old SunOS 4.1.3 box.  Anybody got
any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,

Dean