NT Oplock Registry Entries (bad?)

Peter A. Kazmir pkazmir at dazel.com
Fri Mar 5 18:50:24 GMT 1999

Hi, all,

I tried putting the NT registry entries that I found in one of the textdoc files with 2.0.3 on some NT Workstation and Server
systems.  Once I rebooted, though, the "Workstation" Service on those systems refused to start up.  Once I removed the registry
entries (which are listed below) and rebooted, the system was fine once again.

We have an existing NT Domain (not Workgroup) in our environment; our Samba server (which is AIX 4.2.1) is just an additional
server; I have it configured so that it doesn't participate as a domain controller at all.

Just FYI.  The registry entries are listed below.

The reason I put them on in the first place is that we keep getting files truncated apparently at random on the Samba Server (which
is also an NFS server).  Someone might use or edit a file on the server, say, over an NFS mount on a remote Unix system or over a
Samba mount on an NT Workstation system.  Then when they come back a few hours later, *boom*, several (from 2 to 40) lines from the
bottom of the file is missing.

We've thoroughly checked the filesystems, logical volumes, hard disks, volume groups, etc. on the AIX box.  No changes.  We first
started seeing this with Samba 1.17(?) and still see it on 2.0.0.  Haven't seen it yet on 2.0.3 (with or without oplocks=no), but
the week is young.  (It happens only three or four times a week).  It only happens when Samba is up and running on the AIX box.  I
don't know if Samba is causing it, though, or if it's Samba vs. NFS or what???  Samba is running via inetd (i.e. I have entries in
/etc/inetd.conf to kick it off).

Any ideas?  My smb.conf is listed below.

Thanks!
Peter

I: Registry Entries
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"BufFilesDenyWrite"=dword:00000000
"BufNamedPipes"=dword:00000000
"UseOpportunisticLocking"=dword:00000000
"DormantFileLimit"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\Linkage]  (the whole subfolder)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem]
"Win95TruncateExtensions"=dword:00000000
(*note*: there was a "Win95TruncatedExtensions" key already there (note the "ed in Truncated) - changing it to "0" didn't help)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters]
"EnableOpLockForceClose"=dword:00000001
"EnableOpLocks"=dword:00000000

II. smb.conf
# Global parameters
	workgroup = QANT
	netbios name = PLUTO
	server string = QA Fileserver - AIX 4.2.1/Samba 2.0.3
	interfaces = 172.17.1.10/255.255.0.0 10.10.20.13/255.255.255.0
	security = SHARE
	log level = 2
	syslog = 3
	syslog only = Yes
	local master = No
	wins server = 10.10.20.21

[qatests]
	comment = QA Tests and Test Data
	path = /qa/tests
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	oplocks = No

(Plus several other shares, all with exactly the same info, but for different paths)