PPP, Network Logon, Almost there!

Cary T. Conrad conrad at messagesecure.com
Thu Mar 4 15:11:03 GMT 1999

System: Solaris 2.5.1 x86
Samba: 1.9.16p7
PC: Win95

Network:

---------------------+-------------+----- Ethernet
                   Solaris     PC
                   ---+----      -----
         PPP ->   |
                   ---------
                  |Win95|
                   ---------

IP Numbers: LAN 192.9.200.0/24
                   PPP 192.9.200.97
                   Solaris 192.9.200.44/24

- I have a PC dialing into a statically defined(permanent IP address)
interface.

- This interface is proxy arped so that when the PC is dialed into the
   Solaris machine it can see all of the IP addresses on the ethernet.
- When connected the Dial-in PC can ping via name by making DNS
 request via the Soalris machine
- The dialIn PC can mount shares and printers via the mapping feature
   in Win95

THE PROBLEM
-----------------------
When the PC dials in it requests the user to logon to the Network. The
proper NY logon information and workgroup information is in the PC. The
proper authentication information is entered(works on the ethernet) and
the response is that there is no domain server available. However, the
PC is PPP'd via the Domain Server !?!?!?

So, I spent the last 6hrs reading the archives and found a post that stated
that it is a broadcast issue which makes sense. So snoop tells me that
the PC 192.9.200.97 makes 6-7 broadcast requests to the 192.9.200.255
address which can be seen on the ethernet. There is never a response.

I have tried playing with the broadcast address and route as per a few
suggestions
in the archives, without luck.

I really need to solve this since the requirement is to provide Samba resources
via a logon script.

Many thanks in advance, and I will post a note with detailed resolution
when found.

CC