Newbie question - AIX binaries

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Mar 5 16:38:25 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Pattee M Bender"
<pbender at uniformcolor.com> carved some runes like this:

> This is as "rookie" as you can get.  I would like to install and config
> Samba on my AIX 4.2.1 box, so that its printers and files are visible to
> my PC's on my Novell network.  The PC's are NT4.0 workstations.
>
> I will admit right now that I am completely unfamiliar with Samba, and I'm
> having difficulties finding what I need.  I have tried going to several
> sites and downloading samba to install.  Unfortunately, all I can seem to
> find is source code, and I do not have (and would prefer not to buy if I
> don't have to) a C compiler.
[snip]

Sorry, but I can't help but make a pitch here:

You don't need to "buy" a C compiler, just download gcc and the
binutils from www.gnu.org (I still can't believe AIX doesn't come
with one).  gcc 2.8.1 should work fine.  It might seem scary (it
still seems that way to me sometimes) but building from source is
the way to go.  This will give you access to tons of great software
tools, most of it free (the only cost is your time, but the
educational value is well worth the investment).

If you absolutely have to, I'm sure someone else can point you to
the AIX binaries (I'm a linux guy myself)...