Newbie question - AIX binaries

Stuart Young sgy at amc.com.au
Thu Mar 4 23:15:23 GMT 1999

At 07:06 5/03/99 +1100, Pattee M Bender wrote:
>I will admit right now that I am completely unfamiliar with Samba, and I'm
>having difficulties finding what I need.  I have tried going to several sites
>and downloading samba to install.  Unfortunately, all I can seem to find is
>source code, and I do not have (and would prefer not to buy if I don't
have >to) a C compiler.

Check out the IBM RS/6000|AIX pages, as they have links to various
repositories of files. On some of these you will find a copy of GCC, the
GNU C compiler. You will need to play with it a bit to get it to work (it
requires that you go thru an install procedure that may seem a little
tedious).

>I did look at one site that said it had binaries, but when I downloaded the
>files, I didn't see anything that looked like an executable.

You might want to look through the source files, as they have some docs in
there that might be relevant to installing the executables (eg: INSTALL, etc)

Ive found that AIX can be very picky with software compiled on other
versions of AIX... tho most of it should be fine.

Stuart Young - sgy at amc.com.au - cefiar at amarok.glasswings.com.au
(aka Cefiar) - http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/

[All opinions expressed in the above message are my]
[own and not necessarily the views of my employer..]