SAMBA digest 2006

Seth Vidal skvidal at new-era.com
Thu Mar 4 18:57:01 GMT 1999

> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:02:35 -0500
> From: "Tom Hallewell" <hallewellt at rfa.org>
> To: <samba at samba.org>
> Subject: SMS under samba
>
> Is anyone aware of a way to do server-based software management/installation
> on Win95 clients in a samba environment?  My co-workers are considering
> implementing an MS SMS server, which also requires an MS SQL server.  I
> desperatlely want to counter this proposal with an open-source alternative.
> Any suggestions?
> Tom Hallewell
> Radio Free Asia

I'd suggest some perl scripts would do the job nicely.

all they'd have to do is determine software installs from the registry and
from the drive and mirror up the rest.

I've done it before.(best way is to get perl to generate an ini of installed
programs from the registry and harddrive info and then keep the ini's -
based on machine ip or machine mac address or something and just check
against them ever X number of logins)

then no DB, it's your own SMS and your own system

very controllable.

suprisingly easy once you get used to perl with the registry and get used to
the registry.

-sv