NIS homedir & libc6 don't work

Rob Naccarato rob.naccarato at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu Mar 4 15:09:15 GMT 1999

I installed a Debian 2.0R3 system last night that permits Win95 logins.
It does not house any user home dirs, but instead uses the NIS homedir
option to redirect the clients to another, homedir, server.

I compiled 2.0.2 with --with-automount and it didn't complain, but when I
ran it, Samba did not make any queries to nis for the user's home dir map
(smb.home, in my case).

I compared the include/config.h files on a libc5 (Slackware) and the libc6
(Debian) systems.  The libc5 system has HAVE_YP_GET_DEFAULT_DOMAIN
defined, while the libc6 system doesn't.

I resorted to installing libc5 on my Debian box and used the Samba
binaries from another libc5 machine and all is well.

So the question is: how do I get proper NIS homedir support under a libc6
system (Debian)?

Thanks.

Rob Naccarato           "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages
Sys Admin               because they know they can be impolite without
Sheridan College        having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Oakville, Ont. Canada                      - Robert E. Howard