Not happy campers

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Wed Mar 3 17:18:03 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Dave Walton" <walton at emusic.com> carved
some runes like this:

[snip]
> > File access problems -> win95 RWIN setting needed "adjusting".
>
> Hello?  This sounds interesting.  Please elaborate.

Here's an excerpt from one of my previous posts:

> The TCP/IP settings on the windoze client can cause serious
> problems with reading/copying files.  Specifically, the RWIN
> (DefaultRcvWindow) setting must be above ~3072, at least in my
> case.  The Speed docs also mention that a setting *above* that
> value can cause problems for some clients.  It must be at least
> somewhat hardware-dependent (eg, I have fast (PII) clients talking
> to a slow (466-100) server.  Your mileage may vary.  All I know is,
> the default RWIN setting (MaxMTU=576, MSS=536, RWIN=2144) of 4 times
> MSS was killing my samba browsing (eg, opening files on a samba
> share with windoze explorer).  When I bumped it up to 8xMSS
> (RWIN=4288) everything started working fine with samba (and the
> modem throughput is fine as well).  If you haven't made the windoze
> DUN TCP/IP tweaks on the clients (ie, you've got no specific settings
> in the registry -> MTU of 1500) I don't know what to say.
> You could always try *lowering* RWIN...  (Hey, it's worth a shot :-)

The above scenario transpired *before* we resolved the browsing
problems induced by too much coax on the LAN.  Also, it seems to be
a rare problem (but it's specifically mentioned in the Speed.txt
docs as a known performance problem).

[bigger snip]
> But here's another twist -- I now have three machines
> running Samba:
>
> v1.9.18 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 -> Win95 works.
> v2.0.2 (upgraded from v1.9.18) on FreeBSD 2.2.6 -> Win95 broken.
> v2.0.2 (fresh install) on FreeBSD 3.0 -> Win95 works.

How did you upgrade the second machine?  Did you install the binary
package, or compile from source?  One or more
versions/distributions of certain host platforms have peculiar
quirks, for example, one of the later distributions of SuSe was
broken wrt the samba binary.  Also, certain versions of native C
compilers (Sun, AI/X), even gcc in some cases, are hosed up, as
well as some shared libs on some platforms.

Personally, I'd rather wrestle with these issues (and learn
something useful) than mess around with broken/flaky windoze
drivers and just plain crappy software w/ no source code...

Just my $0.05 worth (you always get a little extra when you ask
me...)